Saturday 22 December 2012

jo hamilton

Jo Hamilton is scotland born artist and works in portland. she learnt drawing and painting at the Glasgow School of Art and recently choose crochet as a medium much later in her career.

“My house is filled with balls of yarn, all arranged by colour on shelves. I can pull them out as I need them for my palate. A portrait can take anything up to forty or fifty hours, but I haven’t actually counted, and I spend just as much time looking as actually crocheting. The pieces evolve from the inside out. I make no graphs, plans or charts; it’s a row-by-row organic process in which I don’t always know the outcome, but have learned to trust my way of working,” -Jo Hamilton

Her pieces are mounted on the walls with the yarn ends dangling giving them a quirky just-off-the-hook air.

in my work I use a traditional basic crochet technique taught to me at an early age by my gran.
I work one knot at a time, from the inside out, row by row. for example, in making the portraits
I always begin in the middle with the eyes and work out from there until the piece is completed.
I work directly from photographs, using no sketches, graphs or computer imaging. each piece
is instinctively composed, handmade, labour-intensive. nothing is planned ahead; I make it up
as I go along. I spend a lot of time simply looking, unraveling, and reworking until I get it right.’
-Jo Hamilton

go to her review here and here. and her official website.




No comments:

Post a Comment